You can check for progress using `nodetool compactionstats` (which will show
Cleanup tasks), or check for ‘Cleaned up’ messages in the log
(/var/log/cassandra/system.log).

However, `nodetool cleanup` has a very specific and limited task - it deletes
data no longer owned by the node, typically after adding nodes or moving
tokens. Have you done that recently?  Or are you trying to clean up space after
issuing a lot of deletes?