Jeff,

That something we're trying to do too. However disabling clients connections
(closing thrift and native ports) does not prevent other nodes (acting as a
coordinators) to request it ... Honestly we'd like to restart a node that need
to deploy HH and to make it serve reads only when it's done. And to be more
precise, we know when it's done and don't need it to work by itself
(automatically).