Hi Alain,

Maybe it's possible to confirm this by testing on a small cluster:
- create a cluster of 2 nodes (using https://github.com/pcmanus/ccm for
example)
- create a fake wide row of a few mb (using the python driver for example)
- drain and stop one of the two nodes
- remove the sstables of the stopped node (to provoke inconsistencies)
- start it again
- select a small portion of the wide row (many times, use nodetool tpstats
to know when a read repair has been triggered)
- nodetool flush (on the previously stopped node)
- check the size of the sstable (if a few kb, then only the selected slice
was repaired, but if a few mb then the whole row was repaired)

The wild guess was: if a read repair was triggered when reading a small
portion of a wide row and if it resulted in streaming the whole wide row,
it could explain a network burst. (But, on a second thought it make more
sense to only repair the small portion being read...)