When a node is joining, writes are sent to both the current replicas *and*
the joining replica.  However, the joining replica does not count towards
the consistency level.  So, for example, if you write at
ConsistencyLevel.TWO, and only one existing replica and the joining replica
respond, the write will be considered a failure.

--
Tyler Hobbs
DataStax <http://datastax.com/>