I’m wanting to upgrade from 2.0 to 2.1. The upgrade instructions at
http://docs.datastax.com/en/upgrade/doc/upgrade/cassandra/upgradeCassandraDetails.html
 has the following, which leaves me with more questions than it answers:

If your cluster does not use vnodes, disable vnodes in each new cassandra.yaml
before doing the rolling restart.
In Cassandra 2.0.x, virtual nodes (vnodes) are enabled by default. Disable
vnodes in the 2.0.x version before upgrading.

  1.  In the
cassandra.yaml<http://docs.datastax.com/en/upgrade/doc/upgrade/cassandra/upgradeCassandraDetails.html#upgradeCassandraDetails__cassandrayaml_unique_7>
 file, set num_tokens to 1.
  2.  Uncomment the initial_token property and set it to 1 or to the value of a
generated
token<http://docs.datastax.com/en/cassandra/2.1/cassandra/configuration/configGenTokens_c.html>
 for a multi-node cluster.

It seems strange that vnodes has to be disabled to upgrade, but whatever. If I
use an initial token generator to set the initial_token property of each node,
then I assume that my token ranges are all going to change, and that there’s
going to be a whole bunch of streaming as the data is shuffled around. The docs
don’t mention that. Should I wait until the streaming is done before proceeding
with the upgrade?

The docs don’t talk about vnodes and initial_tokens post-upgrade. Can I turn
vnodes back on? Am I forever after stuck with having to have manually generated
initial tokens (and needing to have a unique cassandra.yaml for every node)?
Can I just set num_tokens = 256 and comment out initial_token and do a rolling
restart?

Thanks in advance

Robert