--> Why don't you do: DELETE FROM user_contact WHERE userid=xxx AND
contactname=yyyy ?
Answer : Because a contact name can be duplicated.   Or should I force
unique contact names?

In this case, add contactid as extra clustering column to guarantee unicity
for your contact. The delete query becomes:

DELETE FROM user_contact WHERE userid=xxx AND contactname=yyyy AND
contactid=zzz

Normally, from the front-end (web apps or smartphone client) if you have
the contactname, you SURELY also have the contactid information.
Consequently, you can issue the above DELETE statement without having to
read-before-delete, am I wrong ?