You do of course have the simple technical matters, most of which need to
be addressed with a proof of concept implementation, related to memory,
storage, latency, and throughput. I mean, with a scaled cluster you can
always add nodes to increase capacity and throughput, and reduce latency,
but with a single node you have limited flexibility.

Just to be clear, Cassandra is still not recommended for "fat nodes" - even
if you can fit tons of data on the node, you may not have the computes to
satisfy throughput and latency requirements. And if you don't have enough
system memory the amount of storage is irrelevant.

Back to my original question:
How much data (rows, columns), what kind of load pattern (heavy write,
heavy update, heavy query), and what types of queries (primary key-only,
slices, filtering, secondary indexes, etc.)?

I do recall a customer who ran into problems because they had SSD but only
a very limited amount so they were running out of storage. Having enough
system memory for file system caching and offheap data is important as well.

-- Jack Krupansky