:

> * is the 'using timestamp' feature (and providing statement timestamps)
> sufficiently robust and mature to build an application on?

Yes.  It's been there since the start of CQL3.

> * In a BatchedStatement, can different statements have different
> (explicitly provided) timestamps, or is the BatchedStatement's timestamp
> used for them all? Is this specified / stable behaviour?

Yes, you can separate timestamps per statement.  And, in fact, if you
potentially mix inserts and deletes on the same rows, you *should *use
explicit timestamps with different values.  See the timestamp notes here:
http://cassandra.apache.org/doc/cql3/CQL.html#batchStmt

> * cqhsh reports a syntax error when I use 'using timestamp' with an update
> statement (works with 'insert'). Is there a good reason for this, or is it
> a bug?

The "USING TIMESTAMP" goes in a different place in update statements.  It
should be something like:

UPDATE mytable USING TIMESTAMP ? SET col = ? WHERE key = ?

--
Tyler Hobbs
DataStax <http://datastax.com/>