Yes, there is memory overhead for each column family, effectively limiting the
number of column families. The general wisdom is that you should limit yourself
to a few hundred.

Robert

On Feb 29, 2016, at 10:30 AM, Fernando Jimenez
<fernando.jime...@wealth-port.com<mailto:fernando.jime...@wealth-port.com>>
wrote:

Hi all

I have a use case for Cassandra that would require creating a large number of
column families. I have found references to early versions of Cassandra where
each column family would require a fixed amount of memory on all nodes,
effectively imposing an upper limit on the total number of CFs. I have also
seen rumblings that this may have been fixed in later versions.

To put the question to rest, I have setup a DSE sandbox and created some code
to generate column families populated with 3,000 entries each.

Unfortunately I have now hit this issue:

So I will have to retest against Cassandra 3.0 instead

However, I would like to understand the limitations regarding creation of
column families.

* Is there a practical upper limit?
* is this a fixed limit, or does it scale as more nodes are added into the
cluster?
* Is there a difference between one keyspace with thousands of column families,
vs thousands of keyspaces with only a few column families each?

I haven’t found any hard evidence/documentation to help me here, but if you can
point me in the right direction, I will oblige and RTFM away.

Many thanks for your help!

Cheers
FJ