Well, then you could trying to replace this node as soon as you have more nodes
available. I would use this procedure as I believe it is the most efficient
one:
http://docs.datastax.com/en/cassandra/2.0/cassandra/operations/ops_replace_node_t.html.

It is not always the same node, it is always one node from the seven in the
cluster which has the high load but not always the same.

Respect to the question of the hardware ( from one of the nodes, all of them
have the same configuration)

Disk:

-          We use sdd disks

-          Output from iostat -mx 5 100:

avg-cpu:  %user   %nice %system %iowait  %steal   %idle
           1,00    0,00    0,40    0,03    0,00   98,57

Device:         rrqm/s   wrqm/s     r/s     w/s    rMB/s    wMB/s avgrq-sz
avgqu-sz   await  svctm  %util
sda               0,00     0,00    0,00    0,20     0,00     0,00     8,00
0,00    0,00   0,00   0,00
sdb               0,00     0,00    0,00    0,00     0,00     0,00     0,00
0,00    0,00   0,00   0,00
sdc               0,00     0,00    0,00    0,00     0,00     0,00     0,00
0,00    0,00   0,00   0,00
sdd               0,00     0,20    0,00    0,40     0,00     0,00    12,00
0,00    2,50   2,50   0,10

-          Logs, I do not see nothing on the messages log except this:

Apr  3 03:07:01 GT-cassandra7 rsyslogd: [origin software="rsyslogd"
swVersion="5.8.10" x-pid="1504" x-info="http://www.rsyslog.com";] rsyslogd was
HUPed
Apr  3 18:24:55 GT-cassandra7 ntpd[1847]: 0.0.0.0 06a8 08 no_sys_peer
Apr  4 06:56:18 GT-cassandra7 ntpd[1847]: 0.0.0.0 06b8 08 no_sys_peer

CPU:

-          General use: 1 – 4 %

-          Worst case: 98% .It is when the problem comes, running massive
deletes(even in a different machine which is receiving the deletes) or running
a repair.

RAM:

-          We are using CMS.

-          Each node have 16GB, and we dedicate to Cassandra

o   MAX_HEAP_SIZE="10G"

o   HEAP_NEWSIZE="800M"

Regarding to the rest of questions you mention:

-          Clients: we use the datastax java driver with this configuration:
//Get contact points
                  String[]
contactPoints=this.environment.getRequiredProperty(CASSANDRA_CLUSTER_URL).split(",");
          cluster = com.datastax.driver.core.Cluster.builder()
                  .addContactPoints(contactPoints)

//.addContactPoint(this.environment.getRequiredProperty(CASSANDRA_CLUSTER_URL))

.withCredentials(this.environment.getRequiredProperty(CASSANDRA_CLUSTER_USERNAME),

this.environment.getRequiredProperty(CASSANDRA_CLUSTER_PASSWORD))
                                  .withQueryOptions(new QueryOptions()
                                  .setConsistencyLevel(ConsistencyLevel.QUORUM))
                                  //.withLoadBalancingPolicy(new
TokenAwarePolicy(new DCAwareRoundRobinPolicy(CASSANDRA_PRIMARY_CLUSTER)))
                                  .withLoadBalancingPolicy(new
TokenAwarePolicy(new RoundRobinPolicy()))
                                  //.withLoadBalancingPolicy(new
TokenAwarePolicy((LoadBalancingPolicy) new RoundRobinBalancingPolicy()))
                                  .withRetryPolicy(new
LoggingRetryPolicy(DowngradingConsistencyRetryPolicy.INSTANCE))

.withPort(Integer.parseInt(this.environment.getRequiredProperty(CASSANDRA_CLUSTER_PORT)))
                                  .build();

So request should be evenly distributed.

-          Deletes are contained in a cql file, and I am using cqlsh to execute
them. I will try to run the deletes in small batches and separate nodes, but
same problem appear when running repairs.

I think the problem is related with one specific column family:

CREATE TABLE snpaware.snpsearch (
    idline1 bigint,
    idline2 bigint,
    partid int,
    id uuid,
    alleles int,
    coverage int,
    distancetonext int,
    distancetonextbyline int,
    distancetoprev int,
    distancetoprevbyline int,
    frequency double,
    idindividual bigint,
    idindividualmorph bigint,
    idreferencebuild bigint,
    isinexon boolean,
    isinorf boolean,
    max_length int,
    morphid bigint,
    position int,
    qualityflag int,
    ranking int,
    referencebuildlength int,
    snpsearchid uuid,
    synonymous boolean,
    PRIMARY KEY ((idline1, idline2, partid), id)
) WITH CLUSTERING ORDER BY (id ASC)
    AND bloom_filter_fp_chance = 0.01
    AND caching = 'KEYS_ONLY'
    AND comment = 'Table with the snp between lines'
    AND compaction = {'class':
'org.apache.cassandra.db.compaction.SizeTieredCompactionStrategy'}
   AND compression = {'sstable_compression':
'org.apache.cassandra.io.compress.LZ4Compressor'}
    AND dclocal_read_repair_chance = 0.0
    AND default_time_to_live = 0
    AND gc_grace_seconds = 864000
    AND index_interval = 128
    AND memtable_flush_period_in_ms = 0
    AND populate_io_cache_on_flush = false
    AND read_repair_chance = 0.1
    AND replicate_on_write = true
    AND speculative_retry = '99.0PERCENTILE';
CREATE INDEX snpsearch_morphid ON snpaware.snpsearch (morphid);

Which holds a lot of data. It is normaly a cf which needs to be readed but
sometimes updated and deleted and I think the problem is there. I wanted to
change the compaction strategy but that means that a compaction will be
executed and then timeouts will appear and I can not do that on the live
cluster right now.

I will try bring a snapshot of the cf to a test cluster and test the repair
there (I can not snaphost the data from the live cluster completely because it
does not fit in our test cluster). Following your recommendation I will
postpone the upgrade of the cluster (but the partial repair in version 2.1
looks a good fit for my situation to decrease the pressure on the nodes when
running compactions).

Anyway I have ordered two new nodes, because maybe that will help. The problem
is that adding a new node will need to run clean up in all nodes, the clean up
implies a compaction? If the answer to this is yes, then the timeouts will
appear again.