Sorry I should have more clear. What I meant was doing exactly what you wrote,
but do a “removenode” instead of “decommission” to make it even faster. Will
that have any side-effect (I think it shouldn’t) ?

From: Jeff Jirsa [mailto:jeff.ji...@crowdstrike.com]
Sent: Monday, May 23, 2016 4:43 PM
To: user@cassandra.apache.org
Subject: Re: Removing a datacenter

If you remove a node at a time, you’ll eventually end up with a single node in
the DC you’re decommissioning which will own all of the data, and you’ll likely
overwhelm that node.

It’s typically recommended that you ALTER the keyspace, remove the replication
settings for that DC, and then you can decommission (and they won’t need to
stream nearly as much, since they no longer own that data – decom will go much
faster).