Large numbers of tables is generally recommended against.  Each table has a
fixed on-heap memory overhead, and by your description it sounds like you
might have as many as 12,000 total tables when you start running into
trouble.

With such a small heap to begin with, you've probably used up most of the
available heap just with managing the tables.  This is supported by the big
STW pauses you're observing in Cassandra's logs.