      From: Romain Hardouin <romainh...@yahoo.fr>
 To: "user@cassandra.apache.org" <user@cassandra.apache.org>; Jason Kania
<jason.ka...@ymail.com>
 Sent: Wednesday, June 8, 2016 8:30 AM
 Subject: Re: Nodetool repair inconsistencies

Hi Jason,
It's difficult for the community to help you if you don't share the error
;-)What the logs said when you ran a major compaction? (i.e. the first error
you encountered)
Best,
Romain

    Le Mercredi 8 juin 2016 3h34, Jason Kania <jason.ka...@ymail.com> a écrit :

 I am running a 3 node cluster of 3.0.6 instances and encountered an error when
running nodetool compact. I then ran nodetool repair. No errors were returned.
I then attempted to run nodetool compact again, but received the same error so
the repair made no correction and reported no errors.
After that, I moved the problematic files out of the directory, restarted
cassandra and attempted the repair again. The repair again completed without
errors, however, no files were added to the directory that had contained the
corrupt files. So nodetool repair does not seem to be making actual repairs.
I started looking around and numerous directories have vastly different amounts
of content across the 3 nodes. There are 3 replicas so I would expect to find
similar amounts of content in the same data directory on the different nodes.

Is there any way to dig deeper into this? I don't want to be caught because
replication/repair is silently failing. I noticed that there is always an "some
repair failed" amongst the repair output but that is so completely unhelpful
and has always been present.

Thanks,
Jason