Thanks for your reply Sebastian. We have a 3 node dev cluster setup on
local servers. I tried nodetool commands on all 3 of them and response time
was same (excess of 17 Seconds) and most in blocked state as you found out.
I tried fiddling out with /etc/hosts file and on adding the line:

<private-ip> <hostname>

This change Made the wait nearly minmal and has possibly resolved the
problem. I can share the response on the same machine for which I had
earlier shared (it was greater than 17 secs earlier)
$ time nodetool version
ReleaseVersion: 3.0.3

real 0m*1.197s*
user 0m1.963s
sys 0m0.284s

This is a bit puzzling as I checked and ping is working in sub millisecond
from host to self and other two servers, wondering where that time was
being spent earlier.

Thanks & Regards,
Bhuvan