Hi Anuj

From
https://docs.datastax.com/en/latest-upgrade/upgrade/cassandra/upgrdBestPractCassandra.html
:

>    - Employ a continual upgrade strategy for each year. Upgrades are
>    impacted by the version you are upgrading from and the version you are
>    upgrading to. The greater the gap between the current version and the
>    target version, the more complex the upgrade.

And I could not find it but historically I am quite sure it was explicitly
recommended not to skip a major update (for a rolling upgrade), even if I
could not find it. Anyway it is clear that the bigger the gap is, the more
careful we need to be.

On the other hand, I see 2.2 as a 2.1 + some feature but no real breaking
changes (as 3.0 was already on the pipe) and doing a 2.2 was decided
because 3.0 was taking a long time to be released and some feature were
ready for a while.

I might be wrong on some stuff above, but one can only speak with his
knowledge and from his point of view. So I ended up saying:

Also I am not sure if the 2.2 major version is something you can skip while
> upgrading through a rolling restart. I believe you can, but it is not what
> is recommended.

Note that "I am not sure", "I believe you can"... So it was more a thought,
something to explore for Varun :-).

And I actually encouraged him to move forward. Now that Tyler Hobbs
confirmed it works, you can put a lot more trust on the fact that this
upgrade will work :-). I would still encourage people to test it (for
client compatibility, corner cases due to models, ...).

I hope I am more clear now,

C*heers,
Alain Rodriguez - al...@thelastpickle.com
France