What happens is that when trying to rebuild the MV, the rebuilder tries to
create a very large batch that exceeds commitlog_segment_size_in_mb. This
limitation is currently being addressed on CASSANDRA-11670. Two options I
can see to workaround this for now:
1) increase commitlog_segment_size_in_mb as you suggested
2) Re-create the base table and views and reinsert all data again to the
base able.