> What is the underlying reason?

Basically to minimize the amount of anti-compaction needed, since with RF=3
you'd need to perform anti-compaction 3 times in a particular node to get
it fully repaired, while without it you can just repair the full node's
range in one run. Assuming you run repair frequent enough this will not be
a big deal, since you will skip already repaired data in the next round so
you will not have the problem of re-doing work as in non-inc non-pr repair.