Related reading: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-2434 and

From: Ben Slater <ben.sla...@instaclustr.com>
Date: Monday, August 29, 2016 at 11:48 PM
To: "user@cassandra.apache.org" <user@cassandra.apache.org>
Subject: Re: Bootstrapping multiple C* nodes in AWS

Hi Aiman,

Best practice would be to map cassandra racks to AWS availability zones. If you
are following this then you would add one node per AZ to keep the number of
nodes in each rack balanced.

It is technically possible to add multiple nodes simultaneously (at least
joining simultaneously - you need to leave a gap between starting) if your
configuration meets some restrictions (although I can’t remember exactly what
those are) and also requires setting cassandra.consistent.rangemovement=false.
However, in general I’d recommend adding one node at a time unless you’re
really confident in what you are doing, particular if you’re working with a
production cluster.

Cheers

Ben