Truncate does a few things (based on version)
  truncate takes snapshots
  truncate causes a flush
  in very old versions truncate causes a schema migration.

In newer versions like cassandra 3.4 you have this knob.

# How long the coordinator should wait for truncates to complete
# (This can be much longer, because unless auto_snapshot is disabled
# we need to flush first so we can snapshot before removing the data.)
truncate_request_timeout_in_ms: 60000

In older versions you can not control when this call will timeout, it is
fairly normal that it does!