The "2 billion column limit" press clipping "puffery". This statement
seemingly became popular because highly traffic traffic-ed story, in which
a tech reporter embellished on a statement to make a splashy article.

The effect is something like this:
http://www.healthnewsreview.org/2012/08/iced-tea-kidney-stones-and-the-study-that-never-existed/

Iced tea does not cause kidney stones! Cassandra does not store rows with 2
billion columns! It is just not true.