Hi,

probably you can try to start new node with auto_bootstrap: false and then
repair keypaces or even tables one by one with nodetool repair

Best regards, Vladimir Yudovin,

Winguzone - Hosted Cloud Cassandra
Launch your cluster in minutes.

---- On Wed, 02 Nov 2016 10:35:45 -0400Mike Torra <mto...@demandware.com>
wrote ----

Hi All -

I am trying to bootstrap a replacement node in a cluster, but it consistently
fails to bootstrap because of OOM exceptions. For almost a week I've been going
through cycles of bootstrapping, finding errors, then restarting / resuming
bootstrap, and I am struggling to move forward. Sometimes the bootstrapping
node itself fails, which usually manifests first as very high GC times
(sometimes 30s+!), then nodetool commands start to fail with timeouts, then the
node will crash with an OOM exception. Other times, a node streaming data to
this bootstrapping node will have a similar failure. In either case, when it
happens I need to restart the crashed node, then resume the bootstrap.

On top of these issues, when I do need to restart a node it takes a loooong
time
(http://stackoverflow.com/questions/40141739/why-does-cassandra-sometimes-take-a-hours-to-start).
 This exasperates the problem because it takes so long to find out if a change
to the cluster helps or if it still fails. I am in the process of upgrading all
nodes in the cluster from m4.xlarge to c4.4xlarge, and I am running Cassandra
DDC 3.5 on all nodes. The cluster has 26 nodes spread across 4 regions in EC2.
Here is some other relevant cluster info (also in stack overflow post):

Cluster Info

Cassandra DDC 3.5

EC2MultiRegionSnitch

m4.xlarge, moving to c4.4xlarge

Schema Info

3 CF's, all 'write once' (ie no updates), 1 week ttl, STCS (default)

no secondary indexes

I am unsure what to try next. The node that is currently having this bootstrap
problem is a pretty beefy box, with 16 cores, 30G of ram, and a 3.2T EBS
volume. The slow startup time might be because of the issues with a high number
of SSTables that Jeff Jirsa mentioned in a comment on the SO post, but I am at
a loss for the OOM issues. I've tried:

Changing from CMS to G1 GC, which seemed to have helped a bit

Upgrading from 3.5 to 3.9, which did not seem to help

Upgrading instance types from m4.xlarge to c4.4xlarge, which seems to help, but
I'm still having issues

I'd appreciate any suggestions on what else I can try to track down the cause
of these OOM exceptions.

- Mike