Thank you Oskar.  I think you may be missing the double parentheses in the
first example - difference is between partition key of (key1, key2, key3)
and (key1, key2).  With that in mind, I believe your answer would be that
the first example is more efficient?

Is this essentially a case of the coordinator node being able to exactly
pinpoint a row (first example) vs the coordinator node pinpointing the
partition and letting the partition-owning node refine down to the right
row using the clustering key (key3 in the second example)?