We're on 2.X so this information may not apply to your version, but you
should see:

1) A log statement upon compaction, like "Writing large partition",
including the primary partition key (see
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-9643). Configurable
threshold in cassandra.yaml

2) Problematic partition distributions in nodetool cfhistograms, although
without the primary partition key

3) Potentially large partitions in sstables themselves using sstable
parsing utilities. There's also a patch for sstablekeys here, but I've
never used it (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-8720)

While you _could_  monitor partitions and stop writing to that partition
key when the size reaches a certain threshold (roughly acquired through a
method like above) I'm struggling to think of a case where you'd actually
want to do that- pushing partitions to some maximum size is generally not a
great idea. Ideally you'd want your partitions as small as you can manage
them without making your queries absolutely neurotic.