That was what I had in mind. Which solution (populate on demand,
pre-populate) really fits your needs depends on
- write frequency
- required cache expiration time
- read frequency
- ratio of written / read sets

If you prefer event based stuff, the kafka solution, jon proposed could be
quite interesting.

> You could store the key -> score pairs in Cassandra, pull out the full
> partition and repopulate the cache in redis with the top N whatever you
> need.  I'd only read the Cassandra values directly in order to repopulate
> the cache.
>
> I wouldn't try to score the score -> key values, the perf will be a
> nightmare.
>
> On Tue, Jan 17, 2017 at 8:47 AM Mike Torra <mto...@demandware.com> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the feedback everyone! Redis `zincryby` and `zrangebyscore` is
>> indeed what we use today.
>>
>> Caching the resulting 'sorted sets' in redis is exactly what I plan to
>> do. There will be tens of thousands of these sorted sets, each generally
>> with <10k items (with maybe a few exceptions going a bit over that). The
>> reason to periodically calculate the set and store it in cassandra is to
>> avoid having the client do that work, when the client only really cares
>> about the top 100 or so items at any given time. Being truly "real time" is
>> not critical for us, but it is a selling point to be as up to date as
>> possible.
>>
>> I'd like to understand the performance issue of frequently updating these
>> sets. I understand that every time I 'regenerate' the sorted set, any rows
>> that change will create a tombstone - for example, if "item_1" is in first
>> place and "item_2" is in second place, then they switch on the next update,
>> that would be two tombstones. Do you think this will be a big enough
>> problem that it is worth doing the sorting work client side, on demand, and
>> just try to eat the performance hit there? My thought was to make a
>> tradeoff by using more cassandra disk space (ie pre calculating all sets),
>> in exchange for faster reads when requests actually come in that need this
>> data.
>>
>> From: Benjamin Roth <benjamin.r...@jaumo.com>
>> Date: Saturday, January 14, 2017 at 1:25 PM
>> To: "user@cassandra.apache.org" <user@cassandra.apache.org>
>> Subject: Re: implementing a 'sorted set' on top of cassandra
>>
>> Mike mentioned "increment" in his initial post. That let me think of a
>> case with increments and fetching a top list by a counter like
>> https://redis.io/commands/zincrby
>> https://redis.io/commands/zrangebyscore
>>
>> 1. Cassandra is absolutely not made to sort by a counter (or a
>> non-counter numeric incrementing value) but it is made to store counters.
>> In this case a partition could be seen as a set.
>> 2. I thought of CS for persistence and - depending on the app
>> requirements like real-time and set size - still use redis as a read cache

>> Sorted sets don't have a requirement of incrementing / decrementing.
>> They're commonly used for thing like leaderboards where the values are
>> arbitrary.
>>
>> In Redis they are implemented with 2 data structures for efficient
>> lookups of either key or value. No getting around that as far as I know.
>>
>> In Cassandra they would require using the score as a clustering column in
> [...]

Phone +49 7161 304880-6 · Fax +49 7161 304880-1
AG Ulm · HRB 731058 · Managing Director: Jens Kammerer