This question is probably better suited for the user@ group.

It doesn't sound to me like you've uncovered a bug, but rather you're
engaging in highly contentious paxos, which is rarely going to have a
favorable outcome.  Likely you're overwhelming your cluster (or more
specifically the replicas for your single partition - in that sense for
your test as designed cluster size would be basically irrelevant).

It also sounds like you're building something like a queue, which is a
significant classic anti-pattern in the Cassandra realm; there are much
better purpose built tools for this.

See
http://www.datastax.com/dev/blog/cassandra-anti-patterns-queues-and-queue-like-datasets
for
more information on why queue-like datasets aren't a good fit for Cassandra.