What Cassandra version? CMS or G1? What are your timeouts set to?

"GC activity"  - Even if there isn't a lot of activity per se maybe there
is a single long pause happening. I have seen large partitions cause lots
of allocation fast.

Looking at SSTable Levels in nodetool cfstats can help, look at it for all
your tables.

Don't recommend switching to STCS until you know more. You end up with
massive compaction that takes a long time to settle down.

--
Dan Kinder
Principal Software Engineer