I can't say that I have tried that while the issue is going on, but I have
done such rolling restarts for sure, and the timeouts still occur every
day. What would a rolling restart do to fix the issue?

In fact, as I write this, I am restarting each node one by one in the
eu-west-1 datacenter, and in us-east-1 I am seeing lots of timeouts - both
the metrics 'Connection.TotalTimeouts.m1_rate' and
'ClientRequest.Latency.Read.p999' flatlining at ~6s. Why would restarting
in one datacenter impact reads in another?

Any suggestions on what to investigate next, or what changes to try in the
cluster? Happy to provide any more info as well :)