default_time_to_live is a convenience parameter that automatically applies
a TTL to incoming data.  Every field that's inserted can have a separate
TTL.

The TL;DR of all this is that changing default_time_to_live doesn't change
any existing data retroactively.  You'd have to truncate the table if you
want to drop the old data.