We have seen much better stability (and MUCH less GC pauses) from G1 with a
variety of heap sizes. I don’t even consider CMS any more.

Sean Durity

From: Gopal, Dhruva [mailto:dhruva.go...@aspect.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 04, 2017 5:34 PM
To: user@cassandra.apache.org
Subject: Re: cassandra OOM

Thanks, that’s interesting – so CMS is a better option for
stability/performance? We’ll try this out in our cluster.

From: Alexander Dejanovski
<a...@thelastpickle.com<mailto:a...@thelastpickle.com>>
Date: Monday, April 3, 2017 at 10:31 PM
To: "user@cassandra.apache.org<mailto:user@cassandra.apache.org>"
<user@cassandra.apache.org<mailto:user@cassandra.apache.org>>

Hi,

we've seen G1GC going OOM on production clusters (repeatedly) with a 16GB heap
when the workload is intense, and given you're running on m4.2xl I wouldn't go
over 16GB for the heap.

I'd suggest to revert back to CMS, using a 16GB heap and up to 6GB of new gen.
You can use 5 as MaxTenuringThreshold as an initial value and activate GC
logging to fine tune the settings afterwards.

FYI CMS tends to perform better than G1 even though it's a little bit harder to
tune.

Cheers,

On Mon, Apr 3, 2017 at 10:54 PM Gopal, Dhruva