Hi,

here are the main techniques that I know of to perform backups for
Cassandra :

   - Tablesnap (https://github.com/JeremyGrosser/tablesnap) : performs
   continuous backups on S3. Comes with tableslurp to restore backups (one
   table at a time only) and tablechop to delete outdated sstables from S3.
   - incremental backup : activate it in the cassandra.yaml file and it
   will create snapshots for all newly flushed SSTables. It's up to you to
   move the snapshots off-node and delete them. I don't really like that
   technique since it creates a lot of small sstables that eventually contain
   a lot of outdated data. Upon restore you'll have to wait until compaction
   catches up on compacting all the history (which could take a while and use
   a lot of power). Your backups could also grow indefinitely with this
   technique since there's no compaction, so no purge. You'll have to build
   the restore script/procedure.
   - scheduled snapshots : you perform full snapshots by yourself and move
   them off node. You'll have to build the restore script/procedure.
   - EBS snapshots : probably the easiest way to perform backups if you are
   using M4/R4 instances on AWS.

Cheers,

On Thu, May 11, 2017 at 11:01 PM Manikandan Srinivasan <
msriniva...@datastax.com> wrote:

> Blake is correct. OpsCenter 6.0 and up doesn't work with OSS C*. @Nitan:
> We have made some substantial changes to the Opscenter 6.1 backup service,
> specifically when it comes to S3 backups. Having said this, I am not going
> to be sale-sy here. If folks need some help or need more clarity to know
> more about these improvements, please send me an email directly:
> msriniva...@datastax.com
>
> Regards
> Mani
>
> On Thu, May 11, 2017 at 1:54 PM, Nitan Kainth <ni...@bamlabs.com> wrote:
>
>> Also , Opscenter backup/restore does not work for large databases
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>> On May 11, 2017, at 3:41 PM, Blake Eggleston <beggles...@apple.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> OpsCenter 6.0 and up don't work with Cassandra.
>>
>> On May 11, 2017 at 12:31:08 PM, cass savy (casss...@gmail.com) wrote:
>>
>> AWS Backup/Restore process/tools for C*/DSE C*:
>>
>> Has anyone used Opscenter 6.1 backup tool to backup/restore data for
>> larger datasets online ?
>>
>> If yes, did you run into issues using that tool to backup/restore data in
>> PROD that caused any performance or any other impact to the cluster?
>>
>> If no, what are other tools that people have used or recommended for
>> backup and restore of Cassandra keyspaces?
>>
>> Please advice.
>>

> --
> Regards,
>
> Manikandan Srinivasan
>
> Director, Product Management| +1.408.887.3686 |
> manikandan.sriniva...@datastax.com
>
> [image: linkedin.png] <http://www.linkedin.com/in/srinivm/> [image:
> facebook.png] <https://www.facebook.com/datastax> [image: twitter.png]
> <https://twitter.com/mani_srini> [image: g+.png]