To me, CL.TWO and CL.THREE are more like work around of the problem, for
example, they do not work if the number of replicas go to 8, which does
possible in our environment (2 replicas in each of 4 DCs).

What people want from quorum is strong consistency guarantee, as long as
R+W > N, there are three options: a) R=W=(n/2+1); b) R=(n/2), W=(n/2+1); c)
R=(n/2+1), W=(n/2). What Cassandra doing right now, is the option a), which
is the most expensive option.

I can not think of a reason, that people want the quorum read, not for
strong consistency reason, but just to read from (n/2+1) nodes. If they
want strong consistency, then the read just needs (n/2) nodes, we are
purely waste the one extra request, and hurts read latency as well.

Thanks
Dikang.

On Thu, Jun 8, 2017 at 8:20 PM, Nate McCall <n...@thelastpickle.com> wrote:

> We have CL.TWO.
>>

> This was actually the original motivation for CL.TWO and CL.THREE if
> memory serves:

Dikang