Thanks again for your help! To summarize for anyone who stumbles onto this
in the future, this article covers the procedure well:
https://www.eventbrite.com/engineering/changing-the-ip-address-of-a-cassandra-node-with-auto_bootstrapfalse/

It is more or less what Hannu suggested.

I carried out the following steps:
1. safely stop the cassandra instance (nodetool drain + service cassandra
stop)
2. Shut down the ec2 instance.
3. detach the storage volume from old instance.
4. attach to new instance.
5. point cassandra configuration on new instance to this drive and set
auto_bootstrap: false
6. start cassandra on new instance. Once it has established connection with
peers, you will notice that it takes over the token ranges on its own.
Doing a select on the system.peers table will show that the old node is
gone.
7. Run nodetool repair if need be.