Asad,

The rest of the 42 GB of memory on your server is used by the filesystem buffer
cache - see the "cached" column and the -/+ buffers/cache line.

The OS (Linux) uses all free memory for filesystem buffer cache and if
applications need memory, will relinquish it appropriately.

To see the actual memory footprint of Cassandra, run the command "nodetool -h
<hostname> info"

You will see something like what is show below. Your C* memory usage is the sum
of heap and off heap memory.

ID                     : d4eba1d4-95e7-426c-91c6-8ee57bd4d1a7
Gossip active          : true
Thrift active          : false
Native Transport active: true
Load                   : 130.63 MiB
Generation No          : 1495544782
Uptime (seconds)       : 583743
Heap Memory (MB)       : 645.81 / 4016.00
Off Heap Memory (MB)   : 3.21
Data Center            : datacenter1
Rack                   : rack1
Exceptions             : 0
Key Cache              : entries 76, size 6.92 KiB, capacity 100 MiB, 3995
hits, 4079 requests, 0.979 recent hit rate, 14400 save period in seconds
Row Cache              : entries 0, size 0 bytes, capacity 0 bytes, 0 hits, 0
requests, NaN recent hit rate, 0 save period in seconds
Counter Cache          : entries 0, size 0 bytes, capacity 50 MiB, 0 hits, 0
requests, NaN recent hit rate, 7200 save period in seconds
Chunk Cache            : entries 4, size 256 KiB, capacity 480 MiB, 549 misses,
4633 requests, 0.882 recent hit rate, NaN microseconds miss latency
Percent Repaired       : 100.0%
Token                  : (invoke with -T/--tokens to see all 256 tokens)