> But if it also streams, it means I'd still be under-pressure if I am not
> mistaken. I am under the assumption that the compactions are the by-product
> of streaming too many SStables at the same time, and not because of my
> current write load.

Ah yeah I wasn't thinking about the capacity problem, more of the
performance impact from the node being backed up with compactions. If you
haven't already, you should try disable stcs in l0 on the joining node. You
will likely still need to do a lot of compactions, but generally they
should be smaller. The  option is -Dcassandra.disable_stcs_in_l0=true

>  I just noticed you were mentioning L1 tables too. Why would that affect
> the disk footprint?

If you've been doing a lot of STCS in L0, you generally end up with some
large SSTables. These will eventually have to be compacted with L1. Could
also be suffering the problem of streamed SSTables causing large
cross-level compactions in the higher levels as well.
​