Could keep another table and insert into it IF NOT EXISTS. If the insert is
applied, you can act on it (perhaps inserting with a column indicating you're
starting the action). When complete you can update the column to indicate
completion

Of course this all sounds queue-like, sometimes it's better to use a queue.

--
Jeff Jirsa