Hi,
       we have a cassandra cluster with 7 nodes each in 3 datacenters. We are
using C* 2.1.15.4 version.
Network bandwidth between DC1 and DC2 is very good (10Gbit/s) and a dedicated
one. However network pipe between DC1 and DC3 and between DC2 and DC3 is very
poor and has only 100 MBit/s and also goes thru VPN network. Each node contains
about 100 Gb of data and has a RF of 3. Whenever we run the repair, it fails
with streaming errors and never completes. I have already tried the streaming
timeout parameter to a very high value. But it did not help. I could repair
either just in the local dc or just the first two DCs. Can not repair DC3 when
i combine with the other two DCs.

So how can i successfully repair the keyspace in these kind of environments ?

I see that there is a parameter to throttle the inter-dc stream thruput, which
default to 200 MBit/s. So what is the minimum threshold that i could set it to
without affecting the cluster ?

Is there any other way to work in these kind of environments ?
I will appreciate your feedback and help on this.

Thanks

Kishore Mohapatra
Principal Operations DBA
Seattle, WA