On Sun, Oct 1, 2017 at 6:14 PM, Bill Walters <billwalter...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I need some help with deploying a monitoring and alerting system for our
> new Cassandra 3.0.4 cluster that we are setting up in AWS East region.
> I have a good experience with Cassandra as we are running some 2.0.16
> clusters in production on our on-prem servers. We use Nagios tool to
> monitor and alert our on-call people if the any of the nodes in our on-prem
> servers go down. (Nagios is the default monitoring and alerting system used
> by our company)
> Since, our leadership started a plan to migrate our infrastructure to
> cloud, we have chosen AWS as our public cloud.
> We are planning to use same old Nagios as our monitoring and alerting
> system even for our cloud servers.
> But not sure if this is the ideal approach, I have seen uses cases where Yelp
> used Sensu
> <https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiv55qr58_WAhWIsVQKHZx0AJkQFggoMAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fengineeringblog.yelp.com%2F2016%2F06%2Fmonitoring-cassandra-at-scale.html&usg=AOvVaw1dSqH468Tl1nUuxLBb4YA5>
>  and Netflix wrote their own tool
> <https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwj5hK2_58_WAhVmzFQKHUSiA4YQtwIIVTAD&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dw3WbVMavy2I&usg=AOvVaw25xUCY2Jc7fGh7ngQF9ozt>
>  for
> monitoring their cloud Cassandra clusters.
>
> Please let me know if there are any cloud native monitoring systems that
> work well with Cassandra, we will review it for our setup.

Hi,

We've written our own deployment and management tool as well (monitoring
not included): https://github.com/zalando/planb-cassandra/

This setup relies on using persistent EBS volumes for data + EC2 instance
auto-recovery feature.  We've seen a number of successful recovery events
requiring 0 manual effort to recover the service during the past ~1.5 years.

This cannot work, however, with EC2 ephemeral storage (the SSD/nvme storage
attached directly to instances of t types m3, r3 and i3).

Regards,
--
Alex
  • [no subject] Bill Walters