The default -- size tiered.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-12979 mentioned
checkAvailableDiskSpace -- does this function compute a total that includes
all volumes on the system, rather than just the ones available to Cassandra?

There is also a system volume has 2.3 T, so if it is adding all free space
on the system, then it could possibly reach a number that size.

But, it should make sure that there is a single volume with that amount of
free space, otherwise it is still impossible to complete the compaction.