Hello,

due to performance/latency reasons, we are currently reading and writing time
series data at consistency level  ONE/ANY.

In case of a node being down and recovering after the default hinted handoff
window of 3 hrs, we may potentially read stale data from the recovering node.
Of course, from an operational POV, we will trigger a nodetool repair after the
recovered node has start up, but to my understanding, this still may cause
reading stale data from this particular node until nodetool repair is finished,
which may take several hours. Is this correct?

Is there a way (e.g. in newer releases 3.0/3.11) to tell a node not being part
of read requests? Something like a counterpart of nodetool drain for writes?

Other options:

-          Disabling binary/thrift: Although the node won't act as coordinator
then for client requests, as it won't be available from a client perspective,
inter-node, the recovering node is being contacted by other nodes for serving
requests, right?

-          Disabling gossip: Basically the node is marked as DOWN, so treated
like it is not available, thus not an option?

-          Temporarily reading at LOCAL_QUORUM/QUORUM until nodetool repair is
finished?

Did I miss something?

Thanks,
Thomas

addressee or an authorized designee, you may not copy or use it, or disclose it
to anyone else. If you received it in error please notify us immediately and
then destroy it. Dynatrace Austria GmbH (registration number FN 91482h) is a
company registered in Linz whose registered office is at 4040 Linz, Austria,
Freist?dterstra?e 313