Hi Thomas,

No clue about AWS, and it is of course highly dependent on hardware, but on
CentOS 7 on bare metal, the patched kernel
(kernel-3.10.0-693.11.6.el7.x86_64) seems to have a roughly 50% CPU
increase compared to an unpatched kernel
(kernel-3.10.0-693.11.1.el7.x86_64). On a happier note, the latest mainline
kernel from elrepo (kernel-ml-4.14.11-1.el7.elrepo.x86_64) seems to recover
the entire performance loss, likely due to recent PCID patches (or the
other 3+ years of kernel development).

That's on lab servers though, the numbers here will likely vary a lot based
on test setup, and may not be reproducible for production workloads.

If you have the infrastructure to test a variety of kernels, I'd be very
interested to see your numbers.

Thanks,

Tom van der Woerdt
Site Reliability Engineer

Booking.com B.V.
Vijzelstraat 66-80 Amsterdam 1017HL Netherlands
Direct +31207153426
[image: Booking.com] <http://www.booking.com/>
The world's #1 accommodation site
43 languages, 198+ offices worldwide, 120,000+ global destinations,
1,550,000+ room nights booked every day
No booking fees, best price always guaranteed
Subsidiary of the Priceline Group (NASDAQ: PCLN)