From: kurt greaves [mailto:k...@instaclustr.com]
Sent: Montag, 15. Jänner 2018 06:18
To: User <user@cassandra.apache.org>
Subject: Re: Cleanup blocking snapshots - Options?

Disabling the snapshots is the best and only real option other than upgrading
at the moment. Although apparently it was thought that there was only a small
race condition in 2.1 that triggered this and it wasn't worth fixing. If you
are triggering it easily maybe it is worth fixing in 2.1 as well. Does this
happen consistently? Can you provide some more logs on the JIRA or better yet a
way to reproduce?

On 14 January 2018 at 16:12, Steinmaurer, Thomas
<thomas.steinmau...@dynatrace.com<mailto:thomas.steinmau...@dynatrace.com>>
wrote:
Hello,

we are running 2.1.18 with vnodes in production and due to
(https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-11155) we can’t run cleanup
e.g. after extending the cluster without blocking our hourly snapshots.

What options do we have to get rid of partitions a node does not own anymore?

•         Using a version which has this issue fixed, although upgrading to
2.2+, due to various issues, is not an option at the moment

•         Temporarily disabling the hourly cron job before starting cleanup and
re-enable after cleanup has finished

•         Any other way to re-write SSTables with data a node owns after a
cluster scale out

Thanks,
Thomas

addressee or an authorized designee, you may not copy or use it, or disclose it
to anyone else. If you received it in error please notify us immediately and
then destroy it. Dynatrace Austria GmbH (registration number FN 91482h) is a
company registered in Linz whose registered office is at 4040 Linz, Austria,
Freist<https://maps.google.com/?q=4040+Linz,+Austria,+Freist%C3%A4dterstra%C3%9Fe+313&entry=gmail&source=g>ädterstra<https://maps.google.com/?q=4040+Linz,+Austria,+Freist%C3%A4dterstra%C3%9Fe+313&entry=gmail&source=g>ße

313<https://maps.google.com/?q=4040+Linz,+Austria,+Freist%C3%A4dterstra%C3%9Fe+313&entry=gmail&source=g>

addressee or an authorized designee, you may not copy or use it, or disclose it
to anyone else. If you received it in error please notify us immediately and
then destroy it. Dynatrace Austria GmbH (registration number FN 91482h) is a
company registered in Linz whose registered office is at 4040 Linz, Austria,
Freistädterstraße 313