It's fine and intended behaviour. Upgradesstables also has the same effect.
Basically cleanup operates on all SSTables on a node (for each table) and
will cancel any in-progress compactions and instead run cleanup across
them, as you can't have two different compactions including the same file.
The compactions will be retriggered if necessary after cleanup has
completed.