On a single node that's a bit less than half full, the index files are 87G.

How will OS disk cache know to keep the index file blocks cached but not
cache blocks from the data files? As far as I know it is not smart enough
to handle that gracefully.

Re: ram expensiveness, see
https://www.extremetech.com/computing/263031-ram-prices-roof-stuck-way --
it's really not an important point though, ram is still far more expensive
than disk, regardless of whether the price has been going up.

--
Dan Kinder
Principal Software Engineer