As I understand it: Replicas of data are replicated to the next primary
range owner.

As tokens are randomly generated (at least in 2.1.x that I am on), can't we
have this situation:

Say we have RF3, but the tokens happen to line up where:

NodeA handles 0-10
NodeB handles  11-20
NodeA handlea 21-30
NodeB handles 31-40
NodeC handles 40-50

The key aspect of that is that the random assignment of primary range vnode
tokens has resulted in NodeA and NodeB being the primaries for four
adjacent primary ranges.

IF RF is replicated by going to the next adjacent nodes in the primary
range, and we are, say RF3, then B will have a replica of A, and then the
THIRD REPLICA IS BACK ON A.

Is the RF distribution durable to this by ignoring the reappearance of A
and then cycling through until a unique node (NodeC) is encountered, and
then that becomes the third replica?