It depends a bit on which collector you're using, but fairly normal.  Heap
grows for a while, then the JVM decides via a variety of metrics that it's
time to run a collection.  G1GC is usually a bit steadier and less sawtooth
than the Parallel Mark Sweep , but if your heap's a lot bigger than needed
I could see it producing that pattern.