(My advice stands, I still believe it to be safe in all modern versions not
impacted by 13004, but)

There’s little difference between adding columns and removing columns - if
you’re afraid of writes while you add columns, you should be afraid of writes
while you remove columns.

(But I don’t think you should be afraid of either)

--
Jeff Jirsa