Hello Kyrill,

But in case of CL=QUORUM/LOCAL_QUORUM, if I'm not wrong, read request is
> sent to all replicas waiting for first 2 to reply.

My understanding is that this sentence is wrong. It is as you described it
for writes indeed, all the replicas got the information (and to all the
data centers). It's not the case for reads. For reads, x nodes are picked
and used (x = ONE, QUORUM, ALL, ...).

Looks like the only change for dynamic_snitch=false is that "data" request
> is sent to a determined node instead of "currently the fastest one".

Indeed, the problem is that the 'currently the fastest one' changes very
often in certain cases, thus removing the efficiency from the cache without
enough compensation in many cases.
The idea of not using the 'bad' nodes is interesting to have more
predictable latencies when a node is slow for some reason. Yet one of the
side effects of this (and of the scoring that does not seem to be
absolutely reliable) is that the clients are often routed to distinct nodes
when under pressure, due to GC pauses for example or any other pressure.
Saving disk reads in read-heavy workloads under pressure is more important
than trying to save a few milliseconds picking the 'best' node I guess.
I can imagine that alleviating these disks, reducing the number of disk
IO/throughput ends up lowering the latency for all the nodes, thus the
client application latency improves overall. That is my understanding of
why it is so often good to disable the dynamic_snitch.

Did you get improved response for CL=ONE only or for higher CL's as well?

I must admit I don't remember for sure, but many people are using
'LOCAL_QUORUM' and I think I saw this for this consistency level as well.
Plus this question might no longer stand as reads in Cassandra work
slightly differently than what you thought.

I am not 100% comfortable with this 'dynamic_snitch theory' topic, so I
hope someone else can correct me if I am wrong, confirm or add information
:). But for sure I have seen this disabled giving some really nice
improvement (as many others here as you mentioned). Sometimes it was not
helpful, but I have never seen this change being really harmful though.

C*heers,
Alain Rodriguez - @arodream - al...@thelastpickle.com
France / Spain

http://www.thelastpickle.com