Which documentation are you referring to? Which version of Cassandra?

https://docs.datastax.com/en/cql/3.3/cql/cql_reference/cqlAlterTable.html

Renaming a column
The main purpose of RENAME is to change the names of CQL-generated primary key
and column names that are missing from a legacy table. The following
restrictions apply to the RENAME operation:
• You can only rename clustering columns, which are part of the primary key.
• You cannot rename the partition key.
• You can index a renamed column.
• You cannot rename a column if an index has been created on it.
• You cannot rename a static column, since you cannot use a static column in
the table's primary key.

Rahul Singh
Chief Executive Officer
m 202.905.2818

Anant Corporation
1010 Wisconsin Ave NW, Suite 250
Washington, D.C. 20007

We build and manage digital business technology platforms.