On Thu, Sep 6, 2018 at 11:50 AM Alain RODRIGUEZ <arodr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Be aware that this behavior happens when the compaction throughput is set
> to *0 *(unthrottled/unlimited). I believe the estimate uses the speed
> limit for calculation (which is often very much wrong anyway).

As far as I can remember, if you have unthrottled compaction, then the
message is different: it says "n/a".  The all zeroes you usually see when
you only have Validation compactions, and apparently Cleanup work the same
way, at least in the 2.1 version.

https://github.com/apache/cassandra/blob/06209037ea56b5a2a49615a99f1542d6ea1b2947/src/java/org/apache/cassandra/tools/nodetool/CompactionStats.java#L102

Actually, if you look closely, it's obvious that only real Compaction tasks
count toward remainingBytes, so all Validation/Clenaup/Upgrade don't
count.  The reason must be that only actual compaction is affected by the
throttling parameter.  Is that assumption correct?

In any case it would make more sense to measure the actual throughput to
provide an accurate estimate.  Not sure if there is JIRA issue for that
already.

--
Alex