Hi community,

Wonder if you can help me.

I have a cluster on v3.0.11 I am planning to upgrade this to 3.10.
Is rolling back the binaries a viable solution?

From reading blogs and such, I’ve read that downgrading is a no-no. Whilst it
is possible literally and in theory possible, many of the Cassandra experts say
you can only go forward and not back.

In our lab environment I have attempted a rollback.  The version was on 3.10, I
have rolled it back to 3.0.11 and then upgraded back to 3.10 , no sstable
restoration, just a straight copy back of the binaries of the old version, and
and copy over of the new binaries. A rolling restart and then a repair.
Everything went smoothly, no issues. The repair process has been working
without issue since, I’ve not noticed any issues with the cluster.

Firstly Is there anything I should be aware of, would this have caused an issue?

In a production upgrade scenario should  I avoid rolling back, unless I
restore? I’d like to understand if it’s a viable solution or not.

The upgrade we are due to perform is from the tarball files, the bash script
that we have engineered work quickly and efficiently, I don’t have any worries
of the upgrade, I just need to understand if I should factor rollback as part
of this plan.

In the event that a failure of the upgrade occurs should I plan to restore the
data and reinstall the version?

Thanks in advance

notify the sender immediately and destroy it. Any unauthorized copying,
disclosure or distribution of the material in this e-mail is strictly
forbidden. Tradeweb reserves the right to monitor all e-mail communications
through its networks. If you do not wish to receive marketing emails about our
products / services, please let us know by contacting us, either by email at
contac...@tradeweb.com or by writing to us at the registered office of Tradeweb
in the UK, which is: Tradeweb Europe Limited (company number 3912826), 1 Fore
Street Avenue London EC2Y 9DT. To see our privacy policy, visit our website @
www.tradeweb.com.